Click here - Celebration of Sr Valda Singleton's 90th birthday
Valda was born in Melbourne on 16 January 1928. She joined the Contemplative Sisters in Christchurch New Zealand in 1956 and made First Profession on 22 July 1957, taking the name Ursula. On 13 April 1961, she transferred from New Zealand to the Contemplative Community in Oakleigh, Melbourne. In 1982 the Contemplative Community moved from Oakleigh to a purpose built convent in Boronia in Melbourne’s outer east. In 2007 the Community, now comprising just three sisters moved once more, this time to Abbotsford in order to be close to the Provincialate and many other apostolic sisters.
As Contemplative Sister of the Good Shepherd, Valda’s ministry over the years has included participation in community liturgical prayers, praying and living in God for all Good Shepherd Sisters. The focus of Valda’s prayer is people experiencing poverty and marginalisation, social justice, peace and reconciliation with God and all people.
Within the community, Valda has been able to express her personal creativity and artistic talent in painting baptismal stoles and painting vestment designs. She qualified as Lace Maker and vestment embroiderer. Valda was energetic in gardening and household duties. As she grew older, she further developed her talents in painting.
Also, over the years Valda developed a keen interest in recycling, and has enjoyed paying attention to her worm farm.
Comprehensive overview from the GSAPP team - how Good Shepherd Partnership for Mission is developing in this region